Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Desserts, Desserts, Desserts...

Here are few GREAT recipes that I have tried. Memorial Day we went to my sister's house for a BBQ, and she has a friend whose family is doing a sugar fast (staying away from sugar)....not something I think I could ever do. I volunteered to bring the dessert, so I had make a sugar free dessert. I chose to make the Wave Your Flag Cake...but making it all sugar free. Therefore, I could not buy the pound cake that it calls for, I made it. I found a Splenda Blend Sour Cream Pound Cake. Now I am no Splenda fan, but this was not bad at all. So, I made the cake, I used sugar free Jello along with sugar free cool-whip. It was a very good sugar free dessert....I WAS IMPRESSED :)
 
Now...these are nothing but sinful....mmmmhmmm!! Check out these yummy cupcakes - Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes. I made these especially for my brother-in-law who loves anything peanut butter. Besides, I needed some reason to make them :)

Oooooo.....yes!! Remember that Taste of Home Cooking School I brag about so much...this great recipe is from there. How about an Orange Chocolate Tart. Yep!! It was so delish....

What you need is -
6 Tbsp. Butter, cubed
7 oz. semi sweet chocolate, divided
1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. orange extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whipped topping
Orange Peel, Optional

How you do it -
  1. In a microwave safe dish, melt butter and five chocolate squares. Cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, line 9-in. fluted tart pan with removeable bottom with pastry. Line pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes. Remove the foil; bake 3 minutes longer. Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
  2.  In a small bowl, beat eggs, sugar and orange extract until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in cooled chocolate mixture. Beat in flour, mix well. Pour into crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick interted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  3. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside. Melt remaining chocolate. Pour melted chocolate into a ziploc bag; cut a small hole in the corner of bag. Pipe eight to ten small hearts onto waxed paper. Refrigerate until set. Spread whipped topping on pie; garnish with chocolate hearts and orange peel if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
What I changed....I used a pie plate because I do not own a tart pan. It worked just as well. Then...for the orange extract I used the one I made....mmmmm, so good :) Then I used freshly whipped whipping cream in place of the Cool Whip for the whipped topping. If using whipped cream you could add the orange extract in place of  vanilla!!

1 comments:

kira said...

about time for some new updates!!! :) can't WAIT to try the orange chocolate tart ... sounds so perfectly delish! :)