Thursday, May 27, 2010

Homemade Extracts and Sugars

Now...I have decided to make some homemade extracts and flavored sugars...and I am so glad that I have. The extracts can be used in anything that calls for vanilla extract of other flavors and the sugars can be used in baking, topping cookies or cupcakes. Basically anything you would normally use sugar in.

For the Sugars:
3 whole lemons or 2 large navel oranges
2 cups of white sugar

Grate the peels of the chosen fruit (I used the smaller grate on my grater). Add fruit gratings to 1 cup of sugar in a food processor. Process for a couple minutes until well blended and the grating has been well combinded. In a medium size mizing bowl add the fruit gratings to the other cup of sugar. Mix mell then our out onto a backing sheet to dry. I mix mine around several times during the drying process. I let mine sit for atleast 3 hours. After drying I store it in a mason jar, closed, in the fridge.
I pulled the lemon sugar out to use it on my blackberries and I decided to run it all back through the food processor to make it all fine. It turned out great and smells wonderful. I need to so the same to the orange sugar.

I still want to make cinnamon sugar as well as some vanilla sugar...but those are still to come :)

On to the extracts...I made lemon, orange, lime and coconut. Very simple and great tasting. Ten times better than the store bought stuff.

For the citrus extracts:
2 Limes, 1 Lemon or 1/2 Large Navel Orange Peel
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup vodka

Roughly chop the peel, put in a clean jar. Add water and vodka. Place lid on and give it a good shake. Store 3 to 5 days in a dark, cool place. After about 10 days I removed the peels. They smell great :) These store for up to 1 year.

Here is the link to the Coconut Extract that I made. It smells really strong because it is straight vodka so I think I am going to only use half of what I normally would. Also, when I mixed it I placed it all in the blender to really combine the coconut and vodka. I also strained out the coconut about 1 week after making it.

Vanilla, Cinnamon, Mint, and Cinnamon Nutmeg extracts are still on my "to do" lists. One day I will get to them :)

0 comments: