Friday, October 30, 2009

Layered Mint Chocolate Brownies

This is another GREAT recipe out of the Worldwide Ward Cookbook. While at Women's Conference I became hopelessly addicted to the mint brownies....mmmmmm, so yummmy!! Well, in this cookbook there is a recipe for these Layered Mint Chocolate Brownies. I thought I might as well give it a whirl and try them out. Maybe bring back some great memories....and BINGO....these are really, really, really GOOD!! I even had to make a little variation and they are still DELISH!!! You got to try them :) The Recipe is as follows.....

Brownie Ingredients:
1 Cup butter, melted
2/3 Cup cocoa powder
2 Cup Sugar
4 eggs
1-1/2 Cup flour

Brownie Directions:
Mix butter, cocoa, and sugar; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. Stir in flour. Spread into a greased 9 x13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Let cool completely.

Mint Frosting Ingredients:
1/2 Cup butter, softened
1 lb. powdered sugar
1-3 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp mint extract
Green food coloring

Mint Frosting Directions:
Mix butter and powdered sugar. Add only enough milk to make a smooth consistency. Add mint extract and enough food coloring for a light green color. Frosting will be thick. Spread over cooled brownie layer. Refrigerate until firm.

Chocolate Topping Ingredients:
1-1/2 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 Cup butter

Chocolate Topping Directions:
Melt chocolate chips and butter in microwave for 2-3 minutes. Stir well to combine. Pour over frosted brownies, covering frosting completely. Refrigerate until topping is set and hardened. Let brownies sit at room temperature for atleast 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into 24 small squares with sharp knife.

Ok....I had to make a few variations. First...I should have only baked them for about 22 minutes. 25 was too long and the edge of the brownies were very crisp...even though the center was good, it could have been baked less. Then for the frosting...it calls for only a half a cup of butter. I found that when I was mixing the butter and the powdered sugar together that it was not combinding like it should so I added another half of cup of butter. It worked much better. Oh yes, I was certain that when I started these brownies that I had mint extract....NOPE! I was wrong, but I did have peppermint so I used that in place of the mint and it turned out really good. Everyone who has tried them has loved them :) Finally...with the chocolate topping I think I would cut the recipe in half and drizzle the chocolate over the frosting rather than try to cover the whole pan of frosted brownies. Either way....they are really good. The top chocolate layer does set up very fast...I did not put them back in the fridge after putting the topping on.

I must be on a mint kick because as I am typing up this recipe I am eating mint M&M's...mmmmm!!! I love the holidays.

2 comments:

kira said...

I may have forgotten to mention this ... but the goal was to LOSE weight ... oh well. these sounds so yummy!!! :)

Our Story... said...

Lose weight....you don't start losing weight around the holidays...come on girl!!!!