Monday, September 21, 2009

Sugar Cookies and F.H.E.

Ok, so last Monday for F.H.E. I planned a lesson about family in the home, and how our home can be a happy place. This is the first time Shaelee has ever sat through the entire thing. So we had a little lesson, then played a game and THEN...earlier in the day I made Sugar Cookies and for each family member I made a set of cookies that spelled H O M E. So, we all decorated our own H O M E sugar cookies. It was quite fun and the kids had a great time. We had a variety of frostings and sprinkles. But, before making the cookies I was looking for a recipe for the very yummy Lofthouse Sugar Cookies that can be bought in the grocery store. Well, I found a recipe, but they are not the same. They were good with frosting though. Here is the recipe.

Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe
Roll Them Thick For Cake-Like Cookies!

Mix:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar

Add:
3 beaten eggs (or egg substitute)
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift and mix with sugar mixture:
3 cups flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground nutmeg

Roll dough on lightly floured surface and cut with a simple cookie cutter. I cut these cookies thick, about 1/2 inch. *This is a really soft dough, try not to add too much flour so your cookies will stay soft and moist.Bake @ 425 for about 10 minutes* or until lightly golden.

I rolled my cookies pretty thin and only baked them for 4-5 minutes. They were very fast!! The ones I baked for 10 minutes were crispy....yuck!!

0 comments: