Monday, September 21, 2009

Grandma's Apple Bread

This bread is a new recipe that I made last week. It is really yummy. I had to make a couple of changes but it still turned out GOOD!!

Ingredients:
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup rye flour*
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice**
3/4 cup sweetened applesauce**
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 chopped pecans

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinamon, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg, apple juice, applesauce and oil until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans.

2. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Coolf for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

* I found the rye flour at the Whole Foods Market. I looked at Von's but did not find it. A few days later at Smith's I looked just out of couriosity and they do have Dark Rye Flour.

** I was unable to find unsweetend apple juice and I already had sweetened juice so I used that and bought unsweetened applesauce instead of sweetened.

With the changes in the Juice and the Applesauce the bread still turned out good and it is not super sweet either. It is a good breakfast bread!!

0 comments: