Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Spaghetti Carbonara.....Tonights Dinner

This is a new recipe for me....So I will leave an update on how it turned out.

8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup half and half cream
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup frozen peas
8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Additional parmesan cheese, optional

  1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, eggs and cream until smooth; set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil unitl tender. Gradually stir onion mixture into egg mixture. Add peas to hot skillet; cook and stir for 1 minute or until heated through. Pour egg mixture into skillet at once, stirring contantly.
  3. Cook and stir over medium low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a thin film and a thermometer rades 160 degrees, about minutes. Remove from heat.
  4. Drain pasta; transfer to a large bowl. Pour sauce over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon, cheese, salt and white pepper; toss/ Serve immediately with additional parmesan cheese if desired.

YIEDLD: 5 servings

UPDATE.......
Ok, so I made this for dinner Saturday night. I fed the kids first cause it was getting late. I thought Tad and I could enjoy a quiet dinner....even Tad thought I was making something romantic...LOL! Well, I would consider this a flop!! After Tad added a few things to it, the dish turned out tasting ok. It had a wierd texture from the eggs and the cornstarch....I am not going to be doing this one again. I am marking a big X over this recipe in the cookbook I got it from!! I was looking for more of a creamy white sauce....not a lumpy one!!

0 comments: